Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cloth Diapering: Day 1

So last night I decided that I would try out the cloth diapers that I received from TCDF and a couple I had purchased. I'm sure many ppl. think I'm crazy for even attempting this, except for the friends that I know who already do it and have had success with it. (Which inspired me by the way to try it anyways, so thank you ladies!) But frankly I have better things to spend $60 a month on. When you live on one income, you have to find ways to cut costs any way you can and cloth diapering seems like an easy way to do it. So now on to how things are going....

The first diaper I tried yesterday evening was a Rumparooz G2 w/snaps. I only used the newborn insert b/c it was way too bulky otherwise and I really don't need that much absorbency unless it's at night. The snaps and figuring out what rise setting he needs is tricky at first but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it the more I use it. I really like Rumparooz, they seem to fit him well. Which is kind of becoming an issue with some other ones. They also hold a ton too, esp. w/the 6R soaker thing. It was hard to stuff though, but that's prob. a user error since I'm new to all this stuff.

The second one I tried was a size Small Blueberry diaper. I didn't have Blueberry inserts so I used 2 Thirsties inserts to test this one out for overnight. I thought this diaper was going to fit better than the Rumparooz b/c it was sized and it did fit better BUT it's almost too small for him. Which I was really disappointed about b/c I love Blueberry diapers, they're incredibly soft. If I can find some of these in one-size I will get more. So it worked awesome for overnight. I just wish it fit him better. Nathan is very long but his thighs are kinda chunky so it's going to be hard to find something that fits him perfectly.


The third one (the one we're using right now) is a Thirsties pocket duo something. (I can't remember what it's called) I am really not impressed. They don't fit Nathan very well (even though it is a size one) and I feel like it is going to leak, even though it hasn't yet. It just looks that way. BUT I just love their inserts. They have a microfiber one then a hemp/cotton one that snaps to that one.
Well I just changed his Thirsties diaper, and it did leak. I think it was my fault though because I adjusted the rise (I had to unsnap one) and it fits better now. We'll see how this goes.

I still have an OsoCozy All-in-One to try. It is super trim, just like a disposable. So I don't think it is going to hold much but we'll see. I have a Nifty Nappy on the way and I can't wait to try it. I'm also ordering a BumGenius and a Fuzzibunz to try once I get some money this week. I'm hoping I will like either the Bumgenius or the Fuzzibunz best b/c they have some awesome package deals that comes with everything you need. I also might buy a Kawaii just for fun because at seven dollars a diaper I have to just try it and see how it is. And if I hate it, I'm only out seven bucks.

I haven't switched to cloth wipes yet, but I have some. I still have to wash them and make my own solution until I get some solution. I only have one more sample packet of laundry detergent too so once I'm out of these diapers I'll have to use up my disposables until the detergent comes in.

The verdict so far? I'm def. going to switch to cloth. I also like how Nathan's bottom isn't as red anymore since I've been using these. I thought a little redness was normal, apparently not. Once I find a brand I'm in love with then I'll be all set. I think Fuzzibunz might be it for me b/c of how you use the elastic in the legs to adjust the rise. I'm glad I didn't start this until now though because you really don't know what kind of diaper you are going to like until you put it on your baby. I wouldn't of been very happy if I bought a ton of diapers and then they didn't fit him right.

No comments:

Post a Comment